Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

VM 50mb Broadband

Hay Guys

Just wondering of anyone here has signed up to this yet, and if its any good. Thinking of switching from my 20mb to 50mb, but just want to know if its worth doing. Hidden Content

Thanks.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: VM 50mb Broadband

i have a 20mb line in with my package and phoned vm about upgrading to the 50mb line, i was told that it would cost me an extra ?10 per month (not to bad) and then they threw the curve ball and trust me it stung!
    they wanted ?30 to install and ?50 for the new modem!
    ?30 to come round and plug a modem in and make a phone call wtf and the ?50 for the new modem is stupid when they are giving the modem away free as an upgrade to people with older modems.

so at the moment i'll stick to my 20mb line untill vm lower or drop the daft prices for the modem and install

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by grantstrouther1982 Hidden Content
    i have a 20mb line in with my package and phoned vm about upgrading to the 50mb line, i was told that it would cost me an extra ?10 per month (not to bad) and then they threw the curve ball and trust me it stung!
    they wanted ?30 to install and ?50 for the new modem!
    ?30 to come round and plug a modem in and make a phone call wtf and the ?50 for the new modem is stupid when they are giving the modem away free as an upgrade to people with older modems.

so at the moment i'll stick to my 20mb line untill vm lower or drop the daft prices for the modem and install
    Just dragged this from the VM site...

Installation charges apply (starting from ?30 for standard install and, subject to availability, from ?15 for Quickstart self-install). An additional ?20 activation fee is payable for 50Mb broadband.

Looks like its gone down a bit.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have the 50Mbps package. I cannot recommend it.

1. If you have a problem you need to dial up for the special 50Mbps helpdesk based in India.
    2. The service is not capped or traffic managed. Instead you just get snotty letters telling you that your internet use is deterimental to the use of others in the area and that you shouldn't use the service between 09:00 and 21:00
    3. The Superhub appears to have many problems - with mine personally, the Superhubs firewall seems to throttle back the line speed to about 20Mbps. Virgin claim that my software on my pc is to blame for the speed difference.

My advice is stick with the 30Mbps service or lower.

HTH

Post Thanks
    Chats

Vermins latest ad mail offers 30mb broadband for a one off fee of ?30 for the Super hub, modem/router combined, with no increase in billing price.

I thought that sounded good because although I am happy with my 20mb, the increased speed and sexy looking hub seemed like a good deal for a one off payment, so I rang them and signed up.
    During a conversation with cozmo I told him about it, but he told me to be careful and Google The Vermin super hub because it had a lot of problems.
    I Googled "problems with Virgin Super Hub" and got a huge list questions and answers, complaints and faults!
    NO one had a good word to say about it.
    The wireless part of the router did not connect properly, the hardwired connection was running at a lower speed than the previous 20 meg connection, speed was constantly dropping and blocking access to torrent sites and on and on!
    Vermins initial replies to complaints, via India, was a confused denial of problems with the hub, instead blaming the usual area dropouts, users firewall's, anti virus software, next doors cat and aliens in the attic!
    With so many complaints to them Vermin had to eventually admit there was a problem and that they would address it with a firmware update, around May!
    Obviously this is just not good enough.

When I rang up to subsequently cancel the order, Indian operators once again denied a problem, or claimed they knew nothing about it?
    They also denied my current Vermin modem was incapable of receiving 30mb, a lie, so they could not just upgrade my speed without the hub!
    I canceled the upgrade and will get my refund taken off my next bill.
    I would advise anyone thinking about current Vermin upgrade offers to Google the known problems first, where you will find out that the hub is a crap bit of kit.
    Especially if you use multiple wireless connections.
    Let them sort their problems out and upgrade their software in May before you even think of changing a currently working service.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I got this last week and had alot of issues with the superhub throttling speeds, and even dropping out completely when more than 6-7 devices connected at the same time. I recommend sticking to the normal hub for now, there is supposed to be a firmware upgrade to the superhub coming soon...

7. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

"I recommend sticking to the normal hub for now, there is supposed to be a firmware upgrade to the superhub coming soon..."

I wonder how long they will keep saying this, when well over a year later people are still having problems with this rubbish hub! Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. Thanks DessertDog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

There is a forum dedicated to the problems people have with Vermin media ( I won't name or link another forum as it would be rude ) that they call NTHell, and the general consensus is that the superhub is OK as a modem, but dreadful as a router, and that you would be better off using a separate router with it.