Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

David Tennant quits 'Doctor Who'

David Tennant has announced his decision to quit Doctor Who at the end of 2009.

The actor confirmed the news while collecting the award for 'Outstanding Drama Performance' at the National Television Awards.

"In January I go back to make four new specials which take Doctor Who through to the end of 2009," he said. "But when Doctor Who returns in 2010, it won't be with me. The 2009 shows will be my last playing the Doctor."

Tennant added: "If I don't take a deep breath now and move on, I never will. I think it's best I don't outstay my welcome."

His exit in the 2009 Christmas Special will coincide with the departure of executive producer Russell T Davies, who masterminded the cult show's revival in 2005.

Speaking after the announcement, Davies said he was "delighted" for Tennant. "We've known for a long while now.... Most of all, as a Doctor Who fan myself, [I'm] just excited about the future now."

Asked who would be replacing Tennant in the iconic role, new exec producer Steven Moffat teased: "You'll be hearing from us."

Tennant took over from Christopher Eccleston in the coveted role at the end of the first series. By the end of his tenure he will have starred in three series and eight specials.

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: David Tennant quits 'Doctor Who'

not a big doctor who fan but i think he was one of the best!!

Post Thanks
    Chats

News just in 'well a text from my wife' the new Dr Who is going to be played by Billie The Piper, to which I text back to her 'no way' and she text back 'way'

Lets just wait an see eh !

I'm sure we went down this road a couple of months back on the forum.
    Hmmmmmmm, found someone you have !

Post Thanks
    Chats

The revamped Dr Who has been a great success. David Tennant having played a major role in that success. You get used to an actor playing a role and everything changes. I think he will be a hard act to follow?
    Such a successful show but yet there seems to be a lack of new episodes, which I quite miss. I just read an article that said they were just shooting the new series of Torchwood as well. Why such a shortage of sci fi I wonder when all there is to replace it is dancing, cooking and can I really fall through that hole and be buried forever with Dale Winton? Hidden Content
    There may be no sci fi but the program makers are clearly on another planet! Hidden Content

There might be this old American geezer, who sounds as daft as a Bush, who could be looking for work tomorrow. Maybe they will offer him the part? Hidden Content