Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Unlock Your Bt Home Hub

Found this on one of my travels through the internet space...

Instructions to upgrade your BT HomeHub to firmware 6.1.9.6. The effect of this is to unlock the router & used it on any ISP.
    • Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
    • Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
    • Click on the "Use the following IP address" option and enter the following in the boxes.
    • Code:
    • IP address: 192.168.1.1
    • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    • Click "OK" then "OK".
    • Connect the HH to your desktop PC with the yellow ended CAT5 cable.
    • Plug in the power of the HH.
    • Go to the folder you unzipped the Speedtouch Update Wizard to.
    • Doubleclick on upgradeST.exe
    • Click on "Next"
    • Let the wizard detect your HH. When you click on "Next" you will be asked for the login of the router.
    • Login: admin
    • Pass: admin
    • Click on the "Have Disk" button, and find the ZZMYAA6.196.bin file that you unzipped earlier.
    • Click "Next".
    • This is your final chance to chicken out before you start the update. If you're ready, click "Next" and let the update run.
    • If all goes well, you will see the firmware being uploaded to the router and then being installed on the router.
    • It will ask you for new login details just press CANCEL - Ignore the error message at the end because the wizard is lying to you.
    • Close the wizard.
    • Go to Start > Run ... and type telnet 192.168.1.254 then click "OK".
    • Login using the same login details as before...
    • Login: Administrator
    • Pass:
    • Look at the text, and if you see 'Speedtouch 7G' and 6.1.6.9 in the top right corner then you have SUCCESSFULLY updated the firmware of your HH and can now proudly call it a 7G.
    • Type exit to leave telnet.
    • Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
    • Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
    • Click on the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option and then click "OK" and "OK" again.
    • Plug in the phone line into the 'broadband' socket of the router.
    • Open your browser and type in Hidden Content
    • Pass:
    • Click on Speedtouch on the blue menu on the left.
    • Click on the "Set Up" link under 'Pick a task...'
    • Click the "Next" button on the popup window
    • Select Routed PPP then click "Next"
    • Select 0.38 from the list for VPI/VCI
    • Select PPP over ATM (PPPoA) for 'Connection Type'
    • NB. Only if you're on AOL, choose PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE).
    • Enter the username and password for your ISP broadband login. Click "Next"
    I think it is self-explanatory from that point on. That basically means that you've got Internet capability.

Have a look around the menus. You've got far more options available to you.

Download the files from Hidden Content .
    Best regards,
    pande_monium

2. Thanks ChrisWheller87 thanked for this post
    Likes ChrisWheller87 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Unlock Your Bt Home Hub

got a new one and managed to unlock it, can I use it on my Virgin Media cable broadband or is it only ADSL broadband only.

Post Thanks
    Chats

As a modem? Its ADSL only.

As a router? Its only got 2 ethernet ports, you'd be using one as an in so for more than one other computer to connect to the 'net via ethernet you'll need a switch too. I think you need to turn DNS(?) off, but I'm not upto speed on anything too complicated when it comes to networking.

You can apparently use it as a wireless bridge even without unlocking, which I'm trying to do on one of the three v1.5's I've got - need to reset it as the HH doesn't like the IP address I gave it...

Post Thanks
    Chats

Any one got a tut or no how i run my printer through it? been trying and no luckHidden Content

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thelostone Hidden Content
    Any one got a tut or no how i run my printer through it? been trying and no luckHidden Content
    Have you tried this: Hidden Content

(I've not had chance to do much of anything with mine yet)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Did a test page and it worked thanks mate, the only prob is i have to have the bt box upstairs as there is no room downstairs for the printer.I have an ext cable connected from the bt socket down stairs and i plug the bt hub straight in to it.Trouble is i keep losing my broadband,i was wondering if a bt home hub has to be near a bt socket for it to work well?i must admit the ext is quite long i wonder if this is the prob?

Hidden Content

I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here

8. Likes billy149uk liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Where do you have the ADSL micro-filters?

If I remember correctly you should have it at the end of the extension not at the box end. Of course as you have to put any splitters into the micro-filter too this means that you've either got an extension lead running upstairs and one back down or the phone ends up upstairs (OK if you've cordless phones, not if you're still use corded phones).

Even then it could still be down to interference from the bell wire in the extension lead. See: Hidden Content

Apparently with ADSL2 it is no longer necessary to have the modem in the master socket, just make sure every faceplate has a micro-filter. So if it were me, I'd hard wire a secondary line from the master box to upstairs. You are entitled to do this under your agreement with BT - they just won't repair it if they find a fault and know they didn't install it. FYI 'official' BT master and secondary boxes/faceplates can be had off ebay Hidden Content

BTW just don't extend from any junction box located before the master socket.

To make clear; the master box is the first box that you are able to plug a phone into and has a test point behind the faceplate. A junction box can act as a splitter (1:2, 1:3 etc) and as a method of joining 2 wires to act as an extension. It is not uncommon to come across junctioning before the master box (esp near the point at where the line enters the house), these may look like this:
    Hidden Content
    or:
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yes mate the ext is in the master socket and so is the filter i will have a look at the socket and try again when everyones out and see what i can do thanks for the picsHidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Are you going:
    master socket - filter - extension?
    or
    master socket - extension - filter?

I'm sure its supposed to be the second way around, but I'm having trouble confirming it via google...

[edit] I've assumed your extension is Hidden Content , when its just as likely that could be using a long RJ11 cable, in which case it'll either be the length of the cable or its damaged.
    Last edited by little_pob; 11-09-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thats right I am going master socket, ext cable, filter then home hub and yes mate it is a long cable, i am going to cut off the end and wire the end straight in to the master socket.After having a look at it ,it dose look a bit frayed Thank you for all your help i do appreciate it.As for what sort of cable it is no idea sorry
    Last edited by thelostone; 11-09-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi little_pob!

Just wondering if you managed to unlock one of those HH's, version 1.5 yet??

Thanks,

Wilson

Post Thanks
    Chats

Not yet.

Using the stock firmware I got as far as turning off DHCP, but the HH wouldn't connect to the internet and couldn't access the router's admin page.

Need to start again, will then try the 7G firmware.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by pande_monium Hidden Content
    Found this on one of my travels through the internet space...

Instructions to upgrade your BT HomeHub to firmware 6.1.9.6. The effect of this is to unlock the router & used it on any ISP.
    • Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
    • Click on the "Use the following IP address" option and enter the following in the boxes.
    • Code:
    • IP address: 192.168.1.1
    • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    • Click "OK" then "OK".
    • Connect the HH to your desktop PC with the yellow ended CAT5 cable.
    • Plug in the power of the HH.
    • Go to the folder you unzipped the Speedtouch Update Wizard to.
    • Doubleclick on upgradeST.exe
    • Click on "Next"
    • Let the wizard detect your HH. When you click on "Next" you will be asked for the login of the router.
    • Login: admin
    • Pass: admin
    • Click on the "Have Disk" button, and find the ZZMYAA6.196.bin file that you unzipped earlier.
    • Click "Next".
    • This is your final chance to chicken out before you start the update. If you're ready, click "Next" and let the update run.
    • If all goes well, you will see the firmware being uploaded to the router and then being installed on the router.
    • It will ask you for new login details just press CANCEL - Ignore the error message at the end because the wizard is lying to you.
    • Close the wizard.
    • Go to Start > Run ... and type telnet 192.168.1.254 then click "OK".
    • Login using the same login details as before...
    • Pass:
    • Look at the text, and if you see 'Speedtouch 7G' and 6.1.6.9 in the top right corner then you have SUCCESSFULLY updated the firmware of your HH and can now proudly call it a 7G.
    • Type exit to leave telnet.
    • Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
    • Click on the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option and then click "OK" and "OK" again.
    • Plug in the phone line into the 'broadband' socket of the router.
    • Open your browser and type in Hidden Content
    • Pass:
    • Click on Speedtouch on the blue menu on the left.
    • Click on the "Set Up" link under 'Pick a task...'
    • Click the "Next" button on the popup window
    • Select Routed PPP then click "Next"
    • Select 0.38 from the list for VPI/VCI
    • Select PPP over ATM (PPPoA) for 'Connection Type'
    • NB. Only if you're on AOL, choose PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE).
    • Enter the username and password for your ISP broadband login. Click "Next"
    I think it is self-explanatory from that point on. That basically means that you've got Internet capability.

Have a look around the menus. You've got far more options available to you.

Download the files from Hidden Content .
    hi ive tried going through the list above but when i get to the upgradeST.exe the username and password i put in does not allow me to carry on the rest!! if anyone can help me with this problem it would be very welcome.

thx PAUL

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by paulcity Hidden Content
    hi ive tried going through the list above but when i get to the upgradeST.exe the username and password i put in does not allow me to carry on the rest!! if anyone can help me with this problem it would be very welcome.

thx PAUL
    Are you using admin/admin for the userid & pwd? Think you're supposed to use these rather than those you may have created/used.
    Best regards,
    pande_monium

Post Thanks
    Chats

I've tried the above and it works ok until i get to the "have disc prompt and i find the file zzmyaa6.196.bin.It keeps telling me that its not recognised.Can you advise.
    thank you

Post Thanks
    Chats

info hh4

does this work with the bt home hub 4 as i have a 4.0 a and i am struggling to unlock it, any help much appreciated

Post Thanks
    Chats
    this thread is 7yr old
    no it does not work anymore..
    nor on any hh whatever version now

thread closed

dx
    its nice here....