Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista SP1

Post Thanks
    Chats

Vista SP1

I have had vista ultimate installed on my machine since the wk end and since Monday i have been trying to install SP1 but with no joy.

I have done so many searches and have followed all instructions advised by other with same problem but i still can't get it to install, i have tried the 5 language and all languages version.

Does anyone have any advice how to solve this, thanks?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Vista SP1

SP1 has been 'gold' for a while and it may already have been slip streamed into your installation (legit or otherwise). To check either click the pearl/start button and search for winver, or [winkey]+[R] to run winver direct.

If its already installed that is why it doesn't appear to work, if it isn't installed try the following:

Make sure the SP1 .exe has downloaded properly, i.e. is it the right size?

Tried running it as administrator? Right click the .exe > run as administrator.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I tried running both files as administrator still not installing. I checked winver, all it says is Version 6.0 (build 6000).

I have downloaded the both files twice and they are the same size as the 1st ones.

Post Thanks
    Chats

If you get automatic updates it should already be installed for you? If it isn't; start windows in "safe" mode and then install it. That worked for me and a couple of other friends. It can take a long time to install depending on your system as it's a bigger update than XP is as a complete O.S. but it's worth it in the end.
    Let us know how you get on.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have installed another vista ultimate one it now and that has built in sp1, everything has installed on that fine, by that i mean programs etc. i cant get my lexmark all in one center to work, i have download the drivers from lexmark. When i try to open the all in one center i keep getting an error, i didn't get that from the 64bit version but i do from the 32bit, i am thinking of just going back to xp.

Post Thanks
    Chats

windows has referred to vista as me2 .. it is that rubbish

stick to xp. its the best one they've made yet

Post Thanks
    Chats

Are you sure you downloaded the 64bit SP1 then? It took me a few goes to find the right one on the MS website.

Hidden Content Originally Posted by MIYBase Hidden Content
    windows has referred to vista as me2 .. it is that rubbish

stick to xp. its the best one they've made yet
    'Windows' hasn't referred to Vista as ME2. Windows is a brand owned by Microsoft, and they've not referred to is as ME2 either. IIRC it was an article on The Register called "Vista - Windows ME2?" and it just stuck in the minds of some people.

Did you use Windows Me? I skipped that one entirely - Uni does a poor man make.

In my opinion its largely down to most people having gotten comfortable with XP - it has been out for over 6 years.

Have you tried Vista? I mean really tried, i.e. running it for a few days. I've seen people write Vista off when their only experience is a quick go on a mates laptop, or a few minutes on the bloat riddled machines in PC World. I've heard of people even installing XP onto their new machine without even booting the Vista OS!

Alot of people who bash Vista have forgotten the headache XP was when it first came out, or just weren't about. XP made alot of equipment redundant with its lack of drivers. These where the days of dial-up, not everyone had access to the internet or knew where to get 3rd party drivers - I know I didn't on both counts.

Also hard drive and system memory requirements where high for the day - it wasn't that long ago where a 256Mb stick of SDRAM bought for ?40 would double the amount of RAM in a system...

However, you could try Windows 2008. Apparently it has the extra security of Vista but none of the 'bloat'.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Well said little pob.
    I am just a sort of mid range user, with no great technical skills, but I have been using Vista x64 for months now. I bought Vista Home Premium and have never looked back. Yes it has it's funny little ways like any O.S. but shut down the user account control and it's great. I have it on 2 rigs and even on the odd time it does annoy me I wouldn't dream of going back to XP now. I still remember that it had its faults as well, just as annoying.

Think of Vista as central heating and XP as a coal fire; the coal looks great in someone else's house, all warm and cozy. But your not there in the morning when they wake up and take out the ashes and wait an hour for the house to be warm. Vista is there, pretty fast and warm and now, like central heating.
    Why would you want to go back in the past to a coal fire just because your parents had one?

Post Thanks
    Chats

I am using 64bit o.s now and i have installed all my software with no problems, i had problems with my lexmark printer because the o.s was ultimate x86 32bit version.

I think thats maybe why i coudln't get the sp1 to work. SP1 is install on my 64bit now so i am sticking with it the way it is.

Post Thanks
    Chats

One thing to remember guys, If you doing a fresh install of Vista make sure all drivers are installed in device manager prior to trying to install a service pack or even trying to activate a genuine version.
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi All,

I downloaded and installed SP1, big mistake.
    I downloaded it on the 16th May and installed it with no problems what so ever. Then on the 31st May I suddenly start getting a balloon popping up telling me I need to activate my version of Vista. Never had that before. It took me a while to figure out what was causing this, as I had receievd a couple of updates etc since then too and could not point the fingure at which of these was causing the activation to suddenly start appearing. After working out that there had been 15 days since the two events, I then un-installed SP1, rebooted my PC and low and behold my Vista has gone back to how it was before hand and no-longer needs to be activated as it is already activated.
    Has anyone else noticed this or is there something you are suppossed to do prior to or during the SP1 install to stop this from happening? I do not have a 100% legit copy of Vista as you have already worked out from the above.

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks,
    NMC
    Hidden Content Reality is a state of mind caused by the lack of alcohol Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

MS are aware of the problems some users are having with the download and
    install of sp1 and are supposed to be working on it as its mainly at their
    end,no fault of the user.So its just a matter of waiting.

Post Thanks
    Chats

SP1 doesn't actually detect any of the cracks. Although it was supposed to, this is actually done by Windows update KB940510. So it sounds like you've rolled back to before SP1 was installed rather than uninstalled SP1? (That or KB940510 needs SP1 installed to work.)

So which crack are you using?

The grace period hack is, as far as I know, dead with KB940510. Also some of the grace period hacks only gave you until the end of June this year anyway. From what I've read this is because the hack is built on one of the release candidates (RC1?). The RC's should also start telling its users that Vista has expired from June 30th.

There is a new BIOS emulation crack available from the usual places to get around KB940510, PM sent.
    Last edited by little_pob; 03-06-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Tbh, I dont see why peeps bother with hacked OS's. They're not that expensive to buy off fleabay. Bought Vista ultimate retail with x86 & x64 licences for around ?100 not long ago.
    Last edited by Sicilian; 03-06-2008 at 02:57 PM.
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I suppose it depends on how flush you are Sicillian m8. I guess you "made them an offer they couldn't refuse", Hidden Content

Fair point though , I bought Vista x64 Home Premium off fleabay as well for ?64 inc postage. Saves hassle in the long run, but if you just want to try it out then I used a hookey copy as well till I saw how I got on with it. That was a while ago though now, when it first came out.
    Personally I believe it's worth it and SP1 does seem to improve performance. I wouldn't go back to XP now, but this has been discussed in another thread.Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    If you get automatic updates it should already be installed for you? If it isn't; start windows in "safe" mode and then install it. That worked for me and a couple of other friends. It can take a long time to install depending on your system as it's a bigger update than XP is as a complete O.S. but it's worth it in the end.
    Let us know how you get on.
    This worked for me putting it in safe mode.I have be all over the internet looking for a solution to this problem.I have heard all kinds of solution but this worked for me so thanks diablo.I think microsoft is changing its operating system next year anyway so if people do not like vista they can wait till then.I think it is called windows 7 just the now but that may change
    Hidden Content A Question is only hard if you do not know it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Windows 7's official launch date is H1 2010 or 3 years after the public release of Vista.

The pre-beta given out at the Dev confrence the other week is the latest to have leaked...

Win7 is its offical name. Microsoft claim this is because its the 7th major version of Windows. However, its based on the same kernel as Vista and Server 2008, but it has been tweaked (e.g. UAC is apparently to be toned down).

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for the update little_pob.
    Good news about UAC being toned down. Microsoft go out of their way to make Windows more secure, but in doing so they make it too clumsy and restrictive for the end user.
    I have had UAC turned off almost from the start of using Vista because I got sick of the machine saying I didn't have permission to use it.
    Microsoft had to address some security issues with Vista but but I'm afraid I would only mark UAC as 'nice try, could do better'. Hidden Content

@ BLACKJACK, thanks for the pizza, will have it for my tea later. Hidden Content
    Happy to have helped.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Windows Vista is an operating system released in several variations developed by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops, tablet PCs, and media center PCs. Prior to its announcement on July 22, 2005, Windows Vista was known by its codename "Longhorn". Development was completed on November 8, 2006, and over the following three months, it was released in stages to computer hardware and software manufacturers, business customers and retail channels. On January 30, 2007, it was released worldwide and was made available for purchase and download from Microsoft's website. The release of Windows Vista came more than five years after the introduction of its predecessor, Windows XP, the longest time span between successive releases of Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems. It was succeeded by Windows 7, which was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009 and released worldwide for retail on October 22, 2009.

Windows Vista contains many changes and new features, including an updated graphical user interface and visual style dubbed Aero, a redesigned search function, multimedia tools including Windows DVD Maker, and redesigned networking, audio, print, and display sub-systems. Vista aims to increase the level of communication between machines on a home network, using peer-to-peer technology to simplify sharing files and media between computers and devices. Windows Vista includes version 3.0 of the .NET Framework, allowing software developers to write applications without traditional Windows APIs.

Im Special
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content are you a god?

i ask as you seem to have raised the dead just look at the date of the last post b4 yours 2008 incase you cant read dates Hidden Content

and i dont know were you have been but for real vista is and all ways will be a bag of crap you know windows 7 has been out for a while now with windows 8 soon to come along so im pretty sure your post is as good as my rant Hidden Content

try harder next time yea Hidden Content

21. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes Diablo13 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast