Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Calendar Sidebar Gadget

The calendar gadget has an anoying habit of displaying Sunday as the start of week, whereas i would like it to be Monday.

I've been trying to sort this for a while and found this fix.

In the folder c:\program files\windows sidebar\gadgets\calendar.gadget\en-us\js is a file called calendar.js, if you edit this (you will have to change the permissions/take ownership to do so) and change the line

loc.day.first = vbsFirstDayOfWeek()-1;

to

loc.day.first = vbsFirstDayOfWeek();

this will change the start day from Sunday to Monday.

I've also changed the same file in the program files (x86)... folder as well (for 64-bit versions).

Seems to work well with no issues so far, remember take a backup first.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Calendar Sidebar Gadget

It's entirely up to you of course on your machine, but the week does start on a Sunday Hidden Content
    Just because YOUR working week starts on a Monday, it doesn't for everyone else. So the "annoying habit" of making the week start on a Sunday is correct, so you have made a special effort to be out of step with the rest of the world! Why?
    If you did the same thing with an answer phone for instance you would always be a day behind everyone else?
    Sorry but it seems a pointless exercise to me. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    It's entirely up to you of course on your machine, but the week does start on a Sunday Hidden Content
    Just because YOUR working week starts on a Monday, it doesn't for everyone else. So the "annoying habit" of making the week start on a Sunday is correct, so you have made a special effort to be out of step with the rest of the world! Why?
    If you did the same thing with an answer phone for instance you would always be a day behind everyone else?
    Sorry but it seems a pointless exercise to me. Hidden Content
    You're, as usual, right Diablo on the fact that the week does start on Sunday. But, the work week ALWAYS starts on a Monday... that's why we have Sat/Sun as a weekend ;p.

One of the 1st things I do when I personalise any PC given to me is to change the work-week to start on Monday. This helps me getting my travel plans, meetings etc organised properly. Otherwise, I always end up booking tickets on a Sunday to travel out and Thursday to travel back home !!

I suppose I'm of the few odd people out there who likes their week to start on Monday as well...
    Best regards,
    pande_monium

Post Thanks
    Chats

LOL my turn to concede a point I think pande. Looking at it from your point of view with your busy schedule and movie appearances to fit in, it makes sense. Hidden Content
    I on the other hand do not have such a busy work or social life, but do things when I see fit. Hidden Content Any appointments I have usually get scribbled on a bit of paper and left on my desk.
    Can you set 2 calendars then, one for work starting Monday and one for social engagements, autograph signing and the like starting Sunday, or is it just easier to put everything on one calendar?
    Apart from the levity, it is actually meant as a serious question. I just couldn't help referring to the earlier post given the chance. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    LOL my turn to concede a point I think pande. Looking at it from your point of view with your busy schedule and movie appearances to fit in, it makes sense. Hidden Content
    I on the other hand do not have such a busy work or social life, but do things when I see fit. Hidden Content Any appointments I have usually get scribbled on a bit of paper and left on my desk.
    Can you set 2 calendars then, one for work starting Monday and one for social engagements, autograph signing and the like starting Sunday, or is it just easier to put everything on one calendar?
    Apart from the levity, it is actually meant as a serious question. I just couldn't help referring to the earlier post given the chance. Hidden Content

LOL... I'd have never guessed Hidden Content . Itching to see the movie myself. You reckon its that good, huh?

On a serious note, don't think you can set 2 parallel calenders in the same application. I believe all applications have the same system calender... its just that its displayed differently depending upon your choices.
    However, if you have 2 different applications (say, MS Outlook and MS Eudora), then you can set one of them to start Sundays and the other to start Mondays.

But, honestly... I've actually booked my flights going out on a Sunday morning and back on Thursday evening instead of Mon-Fri... then found out that the calendar layout was the culprit.
    Best regards,
    pande_monium