Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: hellllllp

Post Thanks
    Chats

Angry hellllllp

hi guys i have a macbook which i got from fleabay, the guy who sold me it with no hdd i bought a new one formated it to hfs + with a windows program called macdrive but when i put it on i get a folder with a ? flashing so i take it its not finding the hdd or sumat am realy confused and need help i am a pc man but the macs stress me right out i press in the 'C' key when booting and it doesnt boot from cd why does macs have no f**88 bios Hidden Content help will be greatful hope theres a mac 'genius' out there Hidden Content br tictciboom

edit Hidden Content eveyone busy wih the boxes :P help this clueless macbook guy .
    Last edited by ticticboom; 09-04-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    ''if you dont ask you dont get'' ''and if you do ask ask nicely'' Hidden Content ''viva la monde digitale''

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: hellllllp

You should be able to boot from the cd. Power it on holding the "option" key. That should let you boot from the cd. All you do then is install the OSX of your choice. Hope that helps (and that I'm right - my memory isn't what it should be)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Angry Re: hellllllp

cheers mate for ur response i tried that and all that came up was just a cursor and a grey backround, any more ideas the disc i am running from is in dmg format
    ''if you dont ask you dont get'' ''and if you do ask ask nicely'' Hidden Content ''viva la monde digitale''

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by ticticboom Hidden Content
    cheers mate for ur response i tried that and all that came up was just a cursor and a grey backround, any more ideas the disc i am running from is in dmg format
    Did you get the OS disc with the macbook or one you've downloaded? Macs are very specific with versions of the OS, just make sure it's the exact one for your system.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by chmod-uk Hidden Content
    Did you get the OS disc with the macbook or one you've downloaded? Macs are very specific with versions of the OS, just make sure it's the exact one for your system.
    also make sure your using the right one for your cpu intel/g4/5 for example

Post Thanks
    Chats

The question mark means that your mac can't find any operating system too boot from. To boot from some other drive you can either hold down the alt key (called "option key" in mac lingo) after the "ding" or just hold down the c key to boot from the cd/dvd drive.

You said that you tried to boot from a dmg. A dmg is a disk image that needs to be written to a dvd or disk or usb key. But not as a simple file! You need the mac's disk utility to write it to a medium. Now you basically have a chicken & egg problem here. To create a bootable medium from the dmg you need Mac OS X Hidden Content

If you know somebody with a mac you should ask them to create that medium for you.