Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Cable / Tv Hard Drive Recorder

Hi All, i am looking to purchase a hard drive recorder to use with virgin cable & tv can anybody recommend a machine, i have been looking at the Humax range but not sure what the main requirements i need to be looking for, thanks.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Cable / Tv Hard Drive Recorder

if its to compliment it i would say go for a panasonic can not go wrong with them

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thank you for the replys it is to compliment existing virgin box can you point me in the direct of which model panasonic to look for or to what specification i require.

Post Thanks
    Chats

imo richer sounds are a good place to get your dvd recorder from
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have a Humax 9300T, twintuner 320gb hard drive.
    I've had a couple of Humax's and can't really fault them. The epg is great, well laid out and clear with 1 touch timer recording and serial link to record all episodes of a show.
    The 9300T used to have a noisy fan, which kept running even in standby mode, but a recent firmware upgrade fixed that. The upgrades can be set to work automatically down the line as well. Not that there are many, but still a useful feature as digital becomes more widespread and channels move about. It's also nearly 100 quid cheaper than the Panny at about 160 quid and has a user forum for advice.
    I agree Richer Sounds is the first place I would look for new electricals now, not sure if they do the Humax though?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Richer Sounds supply Humax, can anybody please confirm the following is true from a 9300T review on amazon, at present i use my VCR to send a digital signal to another tv & would want to do the same again -
    The RF loop for sending analogue signal to your TV/VCR) only works when the PVR is ON... but you can set the "Power Saving in Standby" (miscellaneous settings) option to "Off" and then it will allow you to watch analogue while its in standby). I also used to be able to send a digital signal to a second TV (on previous model) via the RF, on this model that is not possible via that method...

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by rushtonm Hidden Content
    Richer Sounds supply Humax, can anybody please confirm the following is true from a 9300T review on amazon, at present i use my VCR to send a digital signal to another tv & would want to do the same again -
    The RF loop for sending analogue signal to your TV/VCR) only works when the PVR is ON... but you can set the "Power Saving in Standby" (miscellaneous settings) option to "Off" and then it will allow you to watch analogue while its in standby). I also used to be able to send a digital signal to a second TV (on previous model) via the RF, on this model that is not possible via that method...
    The quote is NOT correct!
    I get my normal channels with the loopthrough on the tv if the box is switched to standby. There is an on and off timer built in to the 9300t, so you can set it to go off automatically, say at midnight and startup again for recording at 1800 for example. In standby mode timer, it will still record a program falling between its "off" and "on" time, without coming completely out of standby.
    I see no reason why you could not split the signal from the rf loop to 2 tellys, just by putting a T or Y splitter on the output of the box. You could also put a splitter on the line in, before the box, to feed 2 receivers independantly with a signal input. Which is what I have done. This gives me the option to record a third terrestrial channel on another standalone pvr if I wish to.
    Does that make sense and help you out rushtonm?

Incidentally I did check that Richer Sounds sells the Humax's, their extended guarantee is the cheapest anywhere and while I am not a fan of extended warranties normally, at their realistic prices, they are worth taking if you decided to buy from them.

P.S On the quote from Amazon, perhaps the poster was using an older non updated firmware and a previous problem had subsequently been fixed?
    Last edited by Diablo13; 23-02-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added Post Script.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi Diablo, do you run a digital signal out from the rf loop to the other tv, i only want 1 out signal to another room.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by rushtonm Hidden Content
    Hi Diablo, do you run a digital signal out from the rf loop to the other tv, i only want 1 out signal to another room.
    The Freview aerial on the roof provides the signal to the wall. From the wall I run a coax, with a T splitter on the end. That gives me 2 signal sources, 1 of which goes into the Humax, the second goes straight into another pvr for me, it would go to your second telly for you.
    The RF output of my Humax goes straight into my telly as the loop through.
    IF you wanted to you COULD put a second splitter on the output of the Humax, then 1 would go to your telly as normal and your second Humax feed to either a recorder or a third telly!
    I haven't tried that but I think that would mean the third telly or recorder could get the same program as your watching or playing back from a recorded program?
    I never mean to, but I always make things sound more complicated than it actually is to set up, but I hope you could follow it and find it helpful?