Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

bought new ram, messed up my pc

i did a crucial scan on the crucial website and ordered the recomended upgrade which was this
    Hidden Content

my computer wouldnt turn on but a red light came on the front of my pc and the fan was running.
    then i put the old memory back in because the new memory wasnt being accepted.
    the new ram is pc2700 and the old one was ddr4000 (3).
    crucial scan said i can use both of them at once

but now even after i put in the old memory my computer still doesnt start up.
    what could i have done wrong?
    has this ram messed up my computer?

here are my specs
    aries performa 3000
    dual ide udma133 hard disk cable 30cm
    k8m800-m2 matx vga 2xDDR 400 lan motherboard
    sempron 2800+ 1.6 ghz socket 754 256kb boxed.
    256mb pc3200 184pin ddr 400 dimm
    Hidden Content

the fans turn and the lights work but the pc isnt booting,
    the red light on the front comes on

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: bought new ram, messed up my pc

If crucial told you it should work then it should work, did you push the memory in the correct way round and did you push it in until it clicked into place, also when you have put the new memory correctly in and go into the bios by tapping (probably F2 but could be other) when the computer restarts and see if the new memory is being detected.

Post Thanks
    Chats

sounds that there is a faulty with the motherboard even if the new memory would detect the old stuff should work and make pc come on

Post Thanks
    Chats

sounds like a faulty ram socket, could try replacing it otherwise its a new mobo. problems like this can arrive when the ram isnt reciveing enough power (due to a shortage etc), if possible find someone with a similar spec pc and try the ram in theirs (making sure its compatable), this would be the best indicator. as for the ram,ram of the same pin type is backward compatable therefore ddr400 will work fine in pc2700 slots but not vice versa. the reason i suggest a new mobo is now that you have the ram it will probably work out cheaper, new mobos are quite cheap as long as you dont mind the hassle of changing it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by stickywicket Hidden Content
    sounds like a faulty ram socket, could try replacing it otherwise its a new mobo. problems like this can arrive when the ram isnt reciveing enough power (due to a shortage etc), if possible find someone with a similar spec pc and try the ram in theirs (making sure its compatable), this would be the best indicator. as for the ram,ram of the same pin type is backward compatable therefore ddr400 will work fine in pc2700 slots but not vice versa. the reason i suggest a new mobo is now that you have the ram it will probably work out cheaper, new mobos are quite cheap as long as you dont mind the hassle of changing it.
    how much does a ram socket cost anyway?

im assuming it costs alot less than a full motherboard,

Post Thanks
    Chats

sockets are quite cheap, in fact any i have seen/used have always come off old faulty boards, the problem lies with replacing it, its quite a tricky job, not always certain to work and can damage the board quite badly if anything goes wrong. have you tried both sticks on there own in both sockets and like i said b4 id try an find someone with a similar spec pc to test both sticks of ram, once your certain theyre both ok then its time to start looking for other faults. also if you can get hold of a boot disc try booting with it to make sure your o/s etc is ok, hirens is quite easy to use.
    the reason i stated a faulty ram socket is had a pc with similar problems to what your stating, it had a power surge due to a shortage (live connector dropped onto case) after sorting all the other problems out i found the memory wouldnt work, after messing for days it turned out the socket was faulty, after replacing it the pc was ok for a bit then kept rebooting intermittingly. after another day of head scratching i gave up and replaced the board, sorted everything out. the board cost ?25 new but i could have picked up a decent second hand one for a tenner and saved myself a headache. when working with any pc its always best to eliminate everything else as a problem first to make sure what is wrong.
    Last edited by stickywicket; 19-10-2007 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

cant use boot disc cos its not starting up at all,
    just get the signals that the memory is incompatible

Post Thanks
    Chats

k try removing everything thats not needed, optical drives, soundcards etc, then booting pc. use only the original stick of ram in slot 1 and the HDD, basically the essentials, maybe a psu problem. see if you can get the pc into the bios.

Post Thanks
    Chats

unless you know what ure doing dont replace ram socket its a waste of time buy anotherboard and change cpu and memory over less time do do that u need to reinstall windows on hdd

Post Thanks
    Chats

tried everything,

looks like i will have to go to watford electronics and get them to fix it cos thats where i got it from

Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Re: bought new ram, messed up my pc

I know you have opened the case and tried your old ram ,,but have you looked really close and made sure you have not just knocked a wire or plug off on your board ,,have a good look around the board and see if there is any thing loose and check cables going to drives etc,, as this did happen to me and I thought the same thing but found it was just a cable of, as I had mine packed out and really needed a bigger case ,,hope you get yourself sorted ,but if it not a loose wire or something you can get great boards for good money but try and get one that all chip and rams,graphic cards all fit ,,if running pc4000 why did you go down to pc2700 anyway my friend
    Last edited by mickyrobbo; 21-10-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by mickyrobbo Hidden Content
    I know you have opened the case and tried your old ram ,,but have you looked really close and made sure you have not just knocked a wire or plug off on your board ,,have a good look around the board and see if there is any thing loose and check cables going to drives etc,, as this did happen to me and I thought the same thing but found it was just a cable of, as I had mine packed out and really needed a bigger case ,,hope you get yourself sorted ,but if it not a loose wire or something you can get great boards for good money but try and get one that all chip and rams,graphic cards all fit ,,if running pc4000 why did you go down to pc2700 anyway my friend
    well i did a crucial scan and it recomended it,
    it was a compatible upgrade

heres the link
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Re: bought new ram, messed up my pc

Hidden Content Originally Posted by hardtarget Hidden Content
    well i did a crucial scan and it recomended it,
    it was a compatible upgrade

heres the link
    Hidden Content
    I know them very well Crucial.com they will be compatible as your chip is faster so it will always clock back or forward to 2700, have you tried to see if it was something different

Post Thanks
    Chats

this happened with mine, i put new ram in and it wouldnt boot for some reason, my bios usually auto updates when you put new ram in, i had to pull the memory jumper on mine and leave it a few mins then re-attach it, then it would boot up and i could access the bios.

maybe worth a try if yours has a jumper on the motherboard, i had to refer to the instruction book for my motherboard to find which jumper it was, but whatever happened it sorted the problem in my case.

i think it had something to do with the settings of the old ram on the pc and the new ram wouldnt work on them settings, like i said it usually auto updates but in this case it didnt, the jumper resets the bios setting if i remember rightly so its back to standard.
    Last edited by Thommohawk; 22-10-2007 at 10:36 AM.
    LEEDS RHINO'S SUPER LEAGUE
    CHAMPIONS 2007

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Thommohawk Hidden Content
    this happened with mine, i put new ram in and it wouldnt boot for some reason, my bios usually auto updates when you put new ram in, i had to pull the memory jumper on mine and leave it a few mins then re-attach it, then it would boot up and i could access the bios.

maybe worth a try if yours has a jumper on the motherboard, i had to refer to the instruction book for my motherboard to find which jumper it was, but whatever happened it sorted the problem in my case.

i think it had something to do with the settings of the old ram on the pc and the new ram wouldnt work on them settings, like i said it usually auto updates but in this case it didnt, the jumper resets the bios setting if i remember rightly so its back to standard.
    but my old one isnt working too,
    what could be the reason for that?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by hardtarget Hidden Content
    but my old one isnt working too,
    what could be the reason for that?

no idea mate but mine did the same, i put new ram in it wouldnt boot so i put the old stuff back in and it still wouldnt boot (and it did before i put the new stuff in), it def sounds like a bios issue with the ram. did you try the above with the jumper, it sorted mine.
    LEEDS RHINO'S SUPER LEAGUE
    CHAMPIONS 2007

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Thommohawk Hidden Content
    no idea mate but mine did the same, i put new ram in it wouldnt boot so i put the old stuff back in and it still wouldnt boot (and it did before i put the new stuff in), it def sounds like a bios issue with the ram. did you try the above with the jumper, it sorted mine.
    so did you take the power adaptor off while taking off the jumper?

also are you referring to the cmos jumper?
    Last edited by hardtarget; 24-10-2007 at 03:52 PM.