Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Natural paving cheaper than manmade

Amazingly i recently bought some natural indian sandstone paving and its cheaper than man made paving made here in the uk.
    Its has fantastic natural colours and patterns within it. Im told that some even have natural fossels in.
    Hard to believe that this stuff was chipped out of the cliffsides,shaped,packaged,imported and sold through a trader who is also earning his bit on it and its still cheaper than a half decent man made copy made here

heres a pic of them
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Natural paving cheaper than manmade

Looks very nice, any idea if theres any dealers / retailers in north london or surrounding areas?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yes, it looks very nice indeed. However before people go down this route I think they have to think about things other than price.
    A quick search on google will bring back a lot of worrying storeis about the use of child labour, enforced migrant labour, poor health and safety and environmental management.

Sorry to be bring a downer to the thread.

Post Thanks
    Chats

There are many dealers all over doing them now....i think selco builders merchant even sells them now.
    Hope you're wrong about the child labour....it seems to be like that with most general products sold here nowadays.
    How are we to know which products not to buy....they are all made by cheap foreign labour.
    Every time i get a makro mail through the door i cant believe how cheap some things are.
    I bet u have items yourself that have been made through child or slave labour.
    It seems our government love this sort of thing here as we are allowing hideous amounts of immigrants here to do our cheap labour for us.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yes, you're right. I think as long as people go through a reputable dealer then things should be okay.

And anyway I hope we have at least some sunshine for you to make the most of the patio. The Met Office have predicted above-normal winter temperatures this year. Christmas dinner alfresco? Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

yes vey nice, i have the blue for a small patio in the garden and the only problem i can mention is what way up to lay them, i put small ornamental stones inbetween mine (green) and it really sets it off.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Sicilian Hidden Content
    Looks very nice, any idea if theres any dealers / retailers in north london or surrounding areas?
    just last year i built a "marshalls"transormation centre in crews hill which is just inside m25 junction with the a10 and they guaratee no child labour etc

marshalls are the biggest slab /block paving manufacturer in england and i think europe and the transformation centre shows of all thier products in garden/drive settings

hopes this helps m8

ps anyone else looking for same/similar products go to marshalls online as they built/are building a few of them centres around the country

one prob is they are as dear as **** but if you find a product you like pm me and i will find you a cheaper alternative of the same quality
    Last edited by dx100-uk; 30-01-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: language

Post Thanks
    Chats

As for the child labour and stuff,

Child labour is wrong. But you have to udnerstand why some do it. Because their father is too ill to work, or they do not have a father. Ladies in the subcontinent tend not to work, except for in homes. It is changing. But will take quite some time yet. It all depends in the areas you live in. The more developed it is, the more western like ways there are. Fashion, women working, fair trial in courts etc.

As for cheap labour, I'm going to give Pakistan as an example. ?1 = 112Rps. Workers in pakistan get around 600Rps a day, which is what? Less than ?6

You look at it in ?, but in Rps, its big. Up till Recently, this was enough for a family of 5 for a full day. Once person working, and providing for 5. And there, you have to pay for doctor, hospital, School, Books, Utilities, everything has a price. Yet, that same one worker on 600Rps can even afford to keep a car! Ok, theres no Road Tax, no insurance no regular maintenance. but still they could do it.

So why are there so many beggers in Pakistan?

Simple! beggers make 1000Rps a day on average. Why work, when you can get the money for free? 99% of the beggers are not real beggers. When I was in Pakistan, I saw a begger got taken in by the Police. He said he was from a city that is more than 1000Miles from thhe City he begging in. He said every Month, I go home on holiday for 7 days. I go by AEROPLANE.

I have seen an old woman badly clothed. She was pushing a a trolley in which a naked boy was sleeping. Begging. Well guess what? She was also one of the rich ones.

I seen a woman going throught the garbage pile, opening all the rubbish bags. She was looking for vegetables that people had thrown away, so she could go home and cook them for her 2 kids. Her husband had died. She was the one in need. Yet, she never once begged. Her Youngest son is famous in the city as a religious singer now. many are helping her. But what about all those years before?

That same day, I went to an event, where I was supposed to sing. I told the poeple about that, and that boy was given in excess of 1Million Rps. I had to drop him home because he was scared his mum would think he had stolen.

Those who need the money are not getting it. And those who don't are getting too much of it.

The wage now needs to be increased as the price of everything is increasing, but before it was ok according to their economy.

When aid is sent, it needs to be given to the correct people.

4 Years ago, when the earthquake came in Pakistan, the Imam of my mosque went to Pakistan to give aid. He drove past a place where there were nice tents, and people were happy. Food was given warm tents given and all that. 5 mins walk down the road, he saw tents made out of rags.

He asked them why you here, he said the aid centre up the road was not giving them aid, because they refused to sign the paper they gave to say that they will change their beleifs, vote for a certain group in the elections and many other things.

These are things that need to be sorted! Not, I will not buy from here because they are employing kids. Why dont you do summat to make sure ther family is getting the aid?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by MIYBase Hidden Content
    As for the child labour and stuff,

Child labour is wrong. But you have to udnerstand why some do it. Because their father is too ill to work, or they do not have a father. Ladies in the subcontinent tend not to work, except for in homes. It is changing. But will take quite some time yet. It all depends in the areas you live in. The more developed it is, the more western like ways there are. Fashion, women working, fair trial in courts etc.

As for cheap labour, I'm going to give Pakistan as an example. ?1 = 112Rps. Workers in pakistan get around 600Rps a day, which is what? Less than ?6

You look at it in ?, but in Rps, its big. Up till Recently, this was enough for a family of 5 for a full day. Once person working, and providing for 5. And there, you have to pay for doctor, hospital, School, Books, Utilities, everything has a price. Yet, that same one worker on 600Rps can even afford to keep a car! Ok, theres no Road Tax, no insurance no regular maintenance. but still they could do it.

So why are there so many beggers in Pakistan?

Simple! beggers make 1000Rps a day on average. Why work, when you can get the money for free? 99% of the beggers are not real beggers. When I was in Pakistan, I saw a begger got taken in by the Police. He said he was from a city that is more than 1000Miles from thhe City he begging in. He said every Month, I go home on holiday for 7 days. I go by AEROPLANE.

I have seen an old woman badly clothed. She was pushing a a trolley in which a naked boy was sleeping. Begging. Well guess what? She was also one of the rich ones.

I seen a woman going throught the garbage pile, opening all the rubbish bags. She was looking for vegetables that people had thrown away, so she could go home and cook them for her 2 kids. Her husband had died. She was the one in need. Yet, she never once begged. Her Youngest son is famous in the city as a religious singer now. many are helping her. But what about all those years before?

That same day, I went to an event, where I was supposed to sing. I told the poeple about that, and that boy was given in excess of 1Million Rps. I had to drop him home because he was scared his mum would think he had stolen.

Those who need the money are not getting it. And those who don't are getting too much of it.

The wage now needs to be increased as the price of everything is increasing, but before it was ok according to their economy.

When aid is sent, it needs to be given to the correct people.

4 Years ago, when the earthquake came in Pakistan, the Imam of my mosque went to Pakistan to give aid. He drove past a place where there were nice tents, and people were happy. Food was given warm tents given and all that. 5 mins walk down the road, he saw tents made out of rags.

He asked them why you here, he said the aid centre up the road was not giving them aid, because they refused to sign the paper they gave to say that they will change their beleifs, vote for a certain group in the elections and many other things.

These are things that need to be sorted! Not, I will not buy from here because they are employing kids. Why dont you do summat to make sure ther family is getting the aid?
    excellant piece of writing there dude but tbh i dont give a ***** if its kids in prams preparing it as long as my kids are ok.
    that might sound a bit harsh but i've got enough of my own problems to give a damn about people i have never/and probably will never meet.
    i was just answering someone elses post about child labour/politically correct manufacturing practices and the fact that you can buy materials so called guaranteed free from this.
    have a nice day and merry xmas
    Last edited by dx100-uk; 30-01-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: language

Post Thanks
    Chats

well your lucky that your born here. had you been from the subcontinent you would have thought differently

Post Thanks
    Chats

could not agree with you more there mate,in this country we dont realise how good we have until we go to places like the indian subcontinent and africa that we see what real poverty and bad living conditions really are.
    i was just trying to point out that i aint got the time or money to care about anything other than me my family and friends
    at the same time i dont wish harm to those that wish me no harm!!!
    have a good day mate Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

well, i did say that those people sending releif must make sure that the correct people receive it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cantona7 Hidden Content
    could not agree with you more there mate,in this country we dont realise how good we have until we go to places like the indian subcontinent and africa that we see what real poverty and bad living conditions really are.
    i was just trying to point out that i aint got the time or money to care about anything other than me my family and friends
    at the same time i dont wish harm to those that wish me no harm!!!
    have a good day mate Hidden Content
    well said

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Irfaan Hidden Content
    well, i did say that those people sending releif must make sure that the correct people receive it.
    How can us the donators make sure the correct people recieve it at the other end?
    Once we give it we put out trust in the charity to fulfil what they claim to do, thats where it becomes difficult, its easy sending it from here but once it goes across like pakistan first thing they're going to do is sort there familys and cousins out and then sort the friends then what evers left over goes to others,
    So much has been donated to the victims and what's the state of northern pakistan? it today looks the same just like it did last year.

and the biggest problem is corruption from the highest level m8

Post Thanks
    Chats

i personnally dont give money to any charity where the money leaves this country,as our own country is far from right with people on or below our poverty line!!
    better than that this is a constrution/patio post that has gone sidewards

Post Thanks
    Chats

yes and far better than manmade