Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Weird problem

Post Thanks
    Chats

Weird problem

am still trying to help my mate with his modem, he still cannot get is sb4200i working although I have it up and running my house no probs.

He then bought a sb5010e with infinite firmware. The mac addresses are good, n*l gives an ip address, but the front of the modem doesn't light up and when I access the modem log it can't load the config file that it downloads, it fails to keep it in memory.

The 5010e came with a tool for changing the mac, but it is a prog for ambit 250, although it seems to work.

Is it possible there is something in his computer setup that would stop the computer from accessing the internet? his subbed modem works fine, and when using the hacked one, IE sits as if it is trying to load the page, but never does.

Tracert to the bbc also works and pings all the systems on the way.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Weird problem

some firewalls can prevent modems getting a connection, in particular ive found that outpost can cause some major problems if it blocks incoming/outgoing requests. to date the only method ive found to remedy this is to format and reinstall windows then allow all connections in outpost to begin with. not really sure what happens, i believe it has something to do with config requests but not 100%, but ive had to do this a few times an its sorted it. maybe someone else can shed a bit more light on the causes.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Weird problem

Hidden Content Originally Posted by stickywicket Hidden Content
    some firewalls can prevent modems getting a connection, in particular ive found that outpost can cause some major problems if it blocks incoming/outgoing requests. to date the only method ive found to remedy this is to format and reinstall windows then allow all connections in outpost to begin with. not really sure what happens, i believe it has something to do with config requests but not 100%, but ive had to do this a few times an its sorted it. maybe someone else can shed a bit more light on the causes.

He is using ZA but I disabled it before flashing, maybe he has windows firewall running in the background, I'll check it out.