Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

should i go vista?

I bought a dell e521 just before christmas with xp media centre edition installed , I have just ordered my supposedly free upgrade to vista dvd. Should I upgrade and to vista or stick with xp mce?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: should i go vista?

I've just bought a brand new Acer laptop with Vista pre-installed. Personally, I wouldn't 'upgrade' to Vista just yet, there's far too many problems with it. Hidden Content I know some have been lucky and it's gone OK for them but it's got so much security crap on it now that it throws a wobbler on installing almost anything. I can't even get MSN LiveMessenger to run, Windows DRM reports some sorta problem. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

am the same am not gona bother with it till its been tested further looks great though but xp does the job 4 now but if u have two comps one xp one vista that would be a good way to get used to vista.
    ''if you dont ask you dont get'' ''and if you do ask ask nicely'' Hidden Content ''viva la monde digitale''

Post Thanks
    Chats

They send you out a vista cd so I would get it but they do charge you 10 quid for delivery "well hp and compaq do anyways", if you leave it to long the offer will end and you wont be able to get vista for this price. When vista gets better and they bring out a service pack or 2 you should be able to download the newer cds and use the same cd key to install the vista with the service packs.

Post Thanks
    Chats

The only reason to "upgrade" to vista would be if you want to become an unpaid Beta tester for microsoft.
    Microsoft have a history of releasing O/S that are barely finished and then release updates as and when users report problems with it.
    Look at Windows 95/98/2000/XP. There are service releases and updates almost daily.
    Better wait till its a more stable platform with a bit more development and support behind it.
    Having said that I have put it on a test PC at home and after the initial "hitting my head off the wall" routine to get it installed and drivers put in, it seems to be working reasonably well. It does tend to hog system resources and doesnt like some of the software I was trying to put onto it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I'd get it if its free but still wouldn't put the thing on yet because it eats up more resource's and well unless your into DX10 games which aren't even out yet there is no point

Post Thanks
    Chats

[QUOTE=Shipoftheline;78270]I'd get it if its free but still wouldn't put the thing on yet because it eats up more resource's and well unless your into DX10 games which aren't even out yet there is no point[/QUOTE

totally agree. i put vista ultimate on my lappy and jesus.........how slow. i know having more memory would help but xp runs spot on with 512ddr.

there was hardly any drivers for it so i couldnt play pes6 on it as it wouldnt recognise my ps2 adapter and to me it looks cosmetic,so back to xp i went.

i wouldnt recommend it,not till sp1 for it has come out at least
    PS3= krazylegz120282

DM500-C,DM500-S90cm Technomate dish,0.2Titanium lnb,diseqc1.2 motor,12 month ART card 1-6
    Hidden Content
    IF YOU FIND A POST USEFUL USE THE THANKS BUTTON NOT A NEW POST JUST TO SAY ITHidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I installed to buggy for me, i'll wait for SP1 and retry it. I don't really nead a pretty OS.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I was told to stay away from it and thats from A MATE in microsoft

Post Thanks
    Chats

i guess it same with all new operating systems, just depends if you really want to have the latest thing or if your happy with xp, if your happy then i wouldn't upgrade just now.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I've been using vista for while now, personally I think its great. The security crap is good imo, stops the missus installing unwanted crap & breaking the system. /me says go for it, but make sure theres drivers for your hardware.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Here's a little update into my foray of using Vista on a test PC.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Surprise, Surprise it has all gone a bit Pete Tong...PC crashed, wouldnt reboot despite running every Technicians disk and tool I had so its now back to XP and going like sh*t off of a stick.
    This PC had 2GB Ram and two 500 Gig HD's in it and still it was like wading through treacle wearing divers boots.
    Why do microsucks do this, release O/S that are barely out of Beta and expect people to pay through the nose for them only for them to be bug ridden,bloated barely functioning pieces of crap.
    Last edited by kryten77; 14-03-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Well im changing over to vista on Friday night but only on a diff hard drive just in case.
    D I S C L A I M E R; My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical, out of general curiosity, for educational purposes or testing only. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. The user Timoweb is not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats

If I ever use Vista it will be the basic edition which hasn't got all the oh doesn't look pretty crap which slows it down and takes up unnecessary resources

Post Thanks
    Chats

Running Vista Ultimate now and its working fantastic. The sound and media side is great. Big shock when only i piece of hardware is not compatablie but its an old network card i use so no biggie. Looks very nice. Runiing 64 with 1GB (quite fast ram) working well, not thrown any old progams at it yet sure they wont Hidden Content . Going to try Half Life 2 1st see if there's any speed diff or probs!
    D I S C L A I M E R; My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical, out of general curiosity, for educational purposes or testing only. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. The user Timoweb is not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats

i think you should but as some people have said you may wish to wait till the bugs are fixed and it mite even come down in price.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Using ultimate on a dual core.Very good and very fast.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thumbs up Re: should i go vista?

i'm running vista at the moment with out any problems. internet explorer doesn't work but i don't use that anyway. live messenger works. saying that i do have a fairly good computer with a 5.2 vista rating.
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
    hope this helps
    p.s. waiting for a few more updates before going 64bit

Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Re: should i go vista?

How do I find out what the Vista Rating of my laptop is any ideas I have just recieved the Vista upgrade DVD but have'nt installed yet on my Acer Laptop!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Just built an dual boot system, XP on one drive and Vista on another drive, Vista is excellent much prefer it, no problems.

Specification:
    AMD Atlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ 2.81 Ghz
    2047 MB DDR2 memory
    DFI Infinity Nf SLI M2/G motherboard
    750 GB between 3 hard drives

Cheers T9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast