Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

First time pc build.

My old Samsung V20 is starting to get a wee bit tired now so I have decided to build a tower system. I am in no great rush to complete it and am buying components when I have spare cash. Up to date I have bought the processor and the motherboard, an AMD 4400+X2 and an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe. I may have been rash in buying the mobo, got it off ebay as brand new, unused, money needed for holiday spending money. It certainly looks new but came minus the accessory pack, cables and i/o shield. Not too worried about the cables, but how important is the shield?.
    I paid 97 quid for it and asked the seller about the accessories but have received no reply, could be on holiday.
    Any advice on the shield and/or suggestions as to the rest of my project (power supply, case etc) most welcome.
    Regards...........ChookeyHidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: First time pc build.

Hi mate
    Your local pc repair shop will probably hace a sutable IO shield
    Are you a gamer or are you going to start?
    Do you need a big harddisk
    Will the pc be constantly?
    What's your budget?
    these thing will help me and others to sellect the apropriate parts

The motherboard is great, is it the A8N32-SLI or A8N-SLI?
    Pittty you've bought the 4400X2, Thier a little anoying

Post Thanks
    Chats

Final spec depends on what you want to use the PC for.

For games: The more you spend on your graphics card(s) the better the game experience you'll get. With an SLi board you are better off using nVidia based GFx cards (had you got a Crossfire board you'd be better off with ATi cards). Word of warning, if you want to run two GFx cards in SLi they have to be the same model number (e.g. 7900GT) and from the same manufacturer (e.g. XFX, BFG etc). I.E. You will not be able to run a 7900GT with anything but another 7900GT (not even a 7900GTX). Nor would you be able to run an XFX 7900GT with a BFG 7900GT for example. The best nVidia based GFx card on the market at the moment is the 7950 GX2 (approx £400+ each). At least 2 Gig of RAM (probably DDR400/PC3200 for that mobo, but check the manual/manufacturers website)

For web design: A large monitor (19"+ TFT or 21"+ CRT). As many different browsers as possible, recommended test browsers are ie, Firefox and Opera.

For watching and encoding movies: Fast DVD +/-RW drive, fast DVD/CDRW combo drive (I'd put these on seperate IDE cables if using RAID HDDs). A 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 PCI soundcard to replace the 'on board' sound (on board sound is processed by the CPU) with speakers to match (i.e. if you get a 5.1 system get a 5.1 set of speakers etc). Large fast HDDs, preferably RAID in a RAID 0 setup to maximise data access (note RAID 0 offers no data redundancy, if one drive fails the data on the other dirve would likely become unusable, tho' the drive itself would still be servicable).

Recommended for all: Large HDD (at least 250 Gig). Minimum of 17" TFT or 19" CRT monitor. Keyboard and mouse to suit.

For the case, choose what ever you like, Hidden Content , Hidden Content and Hidden Content all have a nice selection. I have the Lian Li v1000B, cool and quiet.

Also don't forget to install the Hidden Content !
    Last edited by little_pob; 14-06-2006 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for your cracking replies lads. My mobo is the A8N-SLI Deluxe. Mainly the pc will be used for general internet, editing movies and a little bit of non serious gaming. I plan on using 2 hard drives one of which will be 200GB, I already have this and is at present being used as an external drive for my lappy. I have an awful lot of stuff on there so will have to be a slave.
    My laptop only has a 20GB hard drive but I plan to use it only for my cable files and programs. I will be installing Windows 98 on it.
    I intend to start with 2GB of memory and extend it to 4 in due course. My dvd /rw is a samsung 16x dual layer which I am also using as an external at the moment.
    I am definitely having a 19" tft monitor, my case needs to be different to the norm, probably a gaming type that I can light up.
    My budget isn't a great concern to me as I intend to get a half decent one up and running and add to it over a period of time.
    I guess I will probably need a 500W psu.
    Thanks again, got to retire now I'm just off the night shift, beddy time.
    Regards.........Chookey

Post Thanks
    Chats

Excellent reply Chookey, nice and thorough.
    Being a A8N-SLI(same board as mine) means that you won't get full SLI though you would get around 70% improment over 1 card.

I'd say you don't need a large hard drive but you'll find that larger hard drives are often faster,
    Western digital is my fav so here's a short list
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    I was going to give you Raid0 option until i read Hidden Content it says that the Raptor 150gig is faster than Raid0

For value you cant go wrong with Corsair
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Graphics card, be sure to get PCI-E as this is the only type to fit, and make sure it's SLI capable, for when you upgrade.
    I have the dell 7800GTX, it's an awesome card
    Hidden Content is selling them for around £170
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    of course you can spend hundreds more

As for a case, what ever takes your fancy

Some shops
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

hope u enjoy your 1st build , i did

Post Thanks
    Chats

Let us know what you decide to buy mate

Just bought another dell 256 7800gtx from Hidden Content for an amazing £152, these cards in SLI should be awesome!!!!!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Well Jay, you've gave me a lot of ideas. This week I am buying the ram, your second suggestion, corsair better performance 2 GB. That graphics card seems to be a bargain but will come later as I want to get my project up and running sooner than I first planned.
    Thanks for your suggestions mate, I will keep you informed of my progress through this thread.

Regards.........Chookey