PDA

View Full Version : electric shower

berley
15-11-2006, 03:22 PM
hi peeps daughter getting a new bathroom suite put in and at the same time shes gonna get an electric shower fitted, does she need to hire a plumber and a sparky - because of the new law regarding certificates for electrical work

jw_2000_uk
15-11-2006, 03:54 PM
hi peeps daughter getting a new bathroom suite put in and at the same time shes gonna get an electric shower fitted, does she need to hire a plumber and a sparky - because of the new law regarding certificates for electrical work

I had a m8 do mine,didn't seem to complictaed,its all the drilling that was hard.Its only a few wires,and a bit o pipe joining.

Anyone with a bit of elecy knowladge should be able to do it.

Guess a sparky would be needed if all the wires need completely fitting.

berley
15-11-2006, 04:25 PM
yea shes got no existing wires or pipes there, so it would be getting done from scratch

dx100-uk
15-11-2006, 05:49 PM
yes it is the law.
and you can get latterly fined for it.

dx100uk

stickywicket
15-11-2006, 05:49 PM
unless she knows someone whos qualified - yes, yes an yes again.
electric + water = no need to worry about shower, when i got mine fitted the plumber was able to do it all but it was a friend of a friend who did it.

berley
15-11-2006, 06:05 PM
mmm i was the same the plumber done the whole lot but i was just checking re this new law

dx100-uk
15-11-2006, 06:09 PM
no.
it is wiring in an area where there is water.
you may not modify or add or take away.

the 'work' can be done by any electrician
but it must be certified by a qualified person appointed by the landlord or property owner. and a cerfiticate issued.

dx100uk

stickywicket
15-11-2006, 06:10 PM
in regards to that id say get it done properly, while its doubtful it would ever be checked would it really be worth the hassle if it was. contact the same guy who did yours (if he did a good job that is) an hell put you right.

Gazer
16-11-2006, 02:27 PM
You dont need a electric shower just come off your combi boiler to a mixer would work out cheaper in the long run.
I wish i could thank myself for that berley just saved you alot of money there girl, so can we go halfs on what you saved but dont tell nao other wise he will what some lol

berley
16-11-2006, 02:42 PM
pmsl we'll drink it before he knows about it :)

cheers for all the replies and stupid me should have said it was a combi boiler in the first post

notanotherone
16-11-2006, 02:44 PM
oi yous 2 am watching and if theres drinking to be done cause i helped gazer to do the job i think i should get an invite :roflmao:

fergalsworld
16-11-2006, 02:54 PM
You dont need a electric shower just come off your combi boiler to a mixer would work out cheaper in the long run.
Thats what i did got a mixer shower from b&q for ?110.
Works a treat, well it does now when i first fitted it i put the pipes on
the wrong way around nearly scalded me doo dahs off:oops:
when i first tried it :roflmao: .

Lainie
16-11-2006, 03:37 PM
tell her to get a gas power shower babe much much better

:banana4: :banana4:

Gazer
18-11-2006, 12:16 PM
tell her to get a gas power shower babe much much better

:banana4: :banana4:

Hmm thats what a combi boiler is Lainie ;)

Lainie
18-11-2006, 03:57 PM
oops silly me didnt realise you could stand under the combi boiler and get a fantasticly fast shower- obv mine is a different one!!!!

:lol:

notanotherone
18-11-2006, 08:35 PM
mmm blonde moment nope i know its fhm day lol

berley
01-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Thats what i did got a mixer shower from b&q for ?110.
Works a treat, well it does now when i first fitted it i put the pipes on
the wrong way around nearly scalded me doo dahs off:oops:
when i first tried it :roflmao: .

fergals/anyone you got a link for the one you got or a link for one that you think will be ok as she's going today to buy it and she's about as clued up as me when it comes to mixer showers, or is it just a case of if she buys one in that price range then it should work well ??

Parva
01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
If in the end she does decide to hire a sparky and a plumber (as I did) and go for the electric shower tell her to be mindful of the shower she buys. I was looking at shower units in Argos and saw an 8.5kw one and a 9.5kw for only 8 quid more. Straight away I thought, let's get the more powerful one! Bad move, apparently you need uprated wiring and fuse over the 8.5kw which would have added another 40-50 quid to the wiring bill! Both the sparky and the plumber said I would see no noticable difference between the two so in the end I returned it and swopped for the 8.5kw unit.

berley
01-12-2006, 02:37 PM
thanks a lot for the reply pavro but she's going to get a mixer shower now as it will work out a lot cheaper for her

Pelham1878
23-12-2006, 05:47 PM
For this you need an electrician. The new part p laws are basically the same as a gas fitter and being corgi registered. Any new installations require an electrician to have this when working on domestic electrics. Its to stop bad work and cowboy electricians.

Regards.

paulsolo1
28-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Usually most sparkys can do the whole job, I fit these every day and a NEIC registered sparky. They are easy to fit but not all Sparkys have plumbing knowledge so look for one that has