PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in to home cinema???

thelostone
13-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Ok guys its upgrade time so i was wondering if anyone else has a 5.1/7.1 home cinema system?At the mo i have some bipolar speakers for my surrounds,i was looking at some dipolar speakers,but a friend suggested i try some conventional speakers aas they would prob sound better any ideas?what do you have? thanks for looking

stee01
13-04-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm not much of an audio whizz, but if it helps I think my logitech z5400s are excellent. They're discontinued now, my mate has the model up (not sure if thats still in production either - z5500) and theyre top notch as well. I got lucky with mine paid about ?150 for them a couple of years back. Bought them after problems with certain housemates I lived with waking me up in the middle of the night when I had work the next day. There where reviews of them ratlling double glazing windows on max.

They're brilliant in terms of quality, you might want to replace the rear speakers with a more powerful set. Only problem with them is the sub is too bassy even on lowest setting (the one before off) as Im told by my folks in the room below in the middle of the night, but other than that highly recommended.

Don't know whether that is the answer you're looking for. I don't know what this bipolar/dipolar malarkey is about

tinkertiler
14-04-2010, 01:56 AM
I have got a 5.1 system that i have had for years and it is still going strong. Must have had it for over 7 years or so and it still sounds great. I got a seperate amp (Pioneer) and Sony speakers and it does the job great only thing is dont get much of a chance to have it running lol

Diablo13
15-04-2010, 02:30 AM
I've got an Onkyo 7.1 av amp connected to a Bose Life 5.1 speaker system.
I added a couple of extra Bose cube speakers and a larger twin output Bose center speaker, to give me the 7.1 surround sound. I also put 2 Sony ex rear tv speakers up high behind the telly, plugged into the amps second room sockets as advised by Onkyo, for height ambiance.
It works very well and the cube speakers give out bags of sound with no vibration, especially as their only 3" square. Makes them easy to mount anywhere.
I bought the Bose system used from ebay for about ?250, its not the latest because something equivalent in Comet cost about ?1800, far too rich for my tastes. I had to buy the special Bose center speaker from the States as they are not sold here, not even by Comet the UK Bose suppliers!
Its quite an expensive setup, even though most of it was bought used. The amp was new and on offer for about ?280 I think.
The thing is depending on what money you have to spend, you can get much better quality used than you can afford new and you really can hear the difference between that and a cheaper Samsung 5.1 system I had before it.

P.S. @ stee01
I have the same Logitech Z5400 speakers on my pc. Had them about 3 years now and I have to agree they work great for that. You just have to be careful with the volume or I could skin next doors cats with the shock! :9:

mrjunes
17-04-2010, 09:53 PM
i agree with tinkertiler i also have a sony 5.1 system with 4 small satellite speakers and one large bass speaker setup in my bedroom with my projector, and that does the job just nicely. 7' foot pic on my wall lol. brilliant for watching the simpsons. :)