PDA

View Full Version : home audio / video distribution help

buckthehero
13-05-2008, 08:07 PM
OK, its getting very close to the grand re-development of our place and im looking at some kit for it.

Im quite tempted with Opus Octopus 500 because of its ease of installation. The kit version with both the audio and video distributors, 4 face plates and eight speakers is available for under ?1500.00. This would mean apart from the ir sensors at ?6.00 each, a couple of room plates for individual room components being added at ?100.00 each and the cat5 and coax cable, I reckon I maybe be able to do it for under ?2000.

Would like to ask if any installers in here? Anyone using this kit? Or anyone that is using something else that is also trying to do this.

Thanks for any replies as usual

Buck

pande_monium
19-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Im quite tempted with Opus Octopus 500 because of its ease of installation. The kit version with both the audio and video distributors, 4 face plates and eight speakers is available for under ?1500.00. This would mean apart from the ir sensors at ?6.00 each, a couple of room plates for individual room components being added at ?100.00 each and the cat5 and coax cable, I reckon I maybe be able to do it for under ?2000.

Mordant Short are an excellent company & from what I've heard, this is one of their better products.

Is that BNIB or re-furb? If BNIB, then its a real bargain. I thought the MCU500 cost more than that !! Do I understand you right - you're getting the VSU500 in this price as well !?! You sure it didn't fell off the back of a truck ;).

Not sure if you've thought along this line, but if you're going the whole mile, then might as well add a modem and configure it to be controlled remotely.

TokinWelshman
19-05-2008, 06:26 PM
you guys are making me jelouse now.

keep us informed how you get on buck ive always wanted this sort of thing in my pad. a good audio and video system in every room built in would be great christmas present guys ;)

pande_monium
20-05-2008, 05:45 PM
you guys are making me jelouse now.
keep us informed how you get on buck ive always wanted this sort of thing in my pad. a good audio and video system in every room built in would be great christmas present guys ;)
No problem mate... will keep that in mind when Christmas comes.

BTW... I'd like to upgrade to the 612 Scaglietti... hope you're taking notes now ;p.

buckthehero
21-05-2008, 02:22 PM
yeah that is for the whole kit, the MCU & VSU, 4 wall plates and four pairs of speakers. Its a bargain.
After looking more closely tho may go for a set of KEF cubes for one of the rooms and just add the extra pair of speakers into one of the others.
Ive got a Company called Splash AV coming to look at the diagrams for the conversion of the place and for them to comment on 'other' systems which will probably be ten times more expensive, but at least i will then get the right place to fix all the speakers shown to me!
will let you know how this progresses.
P.s. - not of a back of a truck

buckthehero
21-05-2008, 02:47 PM
p.s. forgot to say

the 612 Scaglietti does not even come close to a VW Corrado!

pande_monium
21-05-2008, 03:20 PM
yeah that is for the whole kit, the MCU & VSU, 4 wall plates and four pairs of speakers. Its a bargain.

In that case, well done on negotiating the deal, my friend. Would appreciate if you shared your source with us.

p.s. forgot to say
the 612 Scaglietti does not even come close to a VW Corrado!

Comparing the Ferrari 612 Scagilietti to the VW Corrado is like comparing a gas lighter to a box of matches!! But then again, to each his own I suppose.

Hang on... we're deviating from the topic... please do let us know how you get along with the fittings/etc and what the entire costing turns out to be... etc.

buckthehero
22-05-2008, 11:15 AM
OK

The kit anyone can buy from :

Opus 300 multi room audio kit - 4 rooms - Stainless steel (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. As the start of this post said we are only looking and pricing things at the moment. We are up to the interior design of our conversion at the moment. The building work is not being started for another few months yet.

One of my mates works for Splash! AV and Control, whilst he said this was a very good basic system, with no actual amps in the room and the only signal as he said was from the cat5 sound quality would not be as good. He has already earmarked loads of runs of his offcuts for me, including loads of oxygen free speaker cable ( just about the most costly speaker cable you can get). so my cable costs are running at nil.
I have also earmarked a 7.1 bose or KEF system for the kitchen / diner come glasshouse, this is gonna set us back about 1000 on its own with out the tv.
My mate has also said to bring up the LCD / Plasma question again that the new generation Plasma's now come with a 15 year guarantee and are much better than LCD.

buckthehero
22-05-2008, 12:15 PM
right im looking at xantech gear now!

looks the mutts

pande_monium
22-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I think you're going down the right path to evaluate all the systems that fall within your budget. But, remember to create (& constantly update) lists of "must-have", "good-to-have" and "can-do-without" features to help you narrow down your choice.

Important : Ask (or even demand) to listen to existing installations of your short-listed equipment in similar room layouts as yours. Most people don't. Remember, if you're fitting the speakers/etc into the walls/cavities, it'll be incredibly difficult / expensive / or even impossible to change them if you don't like their sound.

Just because something is expensive/branded/well-known, doesn't mean that its the right thing for you. I once bought the B&W Nautilus series... but didn't find that the steep difference in the price justified the difference in sound... hence, gave it back.

In your case, perhaps the importance may not lie in the quality, as the features may play a more prominent role. But thankfully, that's for you to decide :-".

buckthehero
23-05-2008, 08:51 AM
cheers pand

list ideas im starting on

got to have

bloody loud system in two main rooms ( lounge & kitchen / diner / glasshouse )
intergrate with existing av equipment
cctv
alarm

good to have

remote controls and wall boxes that you dont have to be a nasa scientist to work ( two young kids needs to be able to use this )

can do without

the wife nagging about all the speakers she will have to dust! ( anyone got a young big busted fit bird that can come and do the house cleaning once a week )

pande_monium
26-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Got to have

Bloody loud system in two main rooms (lounge & kitchen / diner / glasshouse) - Remember you can always add aftermarket power amps like the Marantz monoblocs to individually boost a particular channel, if its not loud enough for you - but then please also consider the handling capacity of the speakers (or upgrade them if need be).
Inherently, wall/cieling mount speakers are never meant to be window-shakers. They're supposed to be discreet and unobtrusive. If you want really loud speakers you'll have to go for book-shelf type of cabinet speakers and mounth them physically on the walls. However, I'd prefer to go for some really nice floor-standers instead.
Intergrate with existing av equipment - Fairly simple as you can get IR relays which can control your existing systems.
CCTV
Alarm
Good to have

Remote controls and wall boxes that you dont have to be a nasa scientist to work (two young kids needs to be able to use this)
Looks ?? If you're not putting these away in a closet somewhere, this may become an important decision.
Programmable ?? It helps if you can automate/program stuff like switching on only the VSU amp when the DVD/TV's been switched on. Or, a "Party mode" which enables certain stereo sets of the speakers for those party nights.
Upgradeability ?? In case you want to add the rest of the rooms in the house to the existing network?Can do without

The wife nagging about all the speakers she will have to dust! (anyone got a young big busted fit bird that can come and do the house cleaning once a week)
Explaining how the whole bloody system works to the wife/children - Remember, you can offload this to the installer's head ;p ! Let them give your family a complete demo & personalised documentation. Why take the pain when someone else can ?